FREESTEP SUPERSTRIDE JOINT SUPPLEMENT 285G
The reasoning behind the development for this very specific and sophisticated supplement is as follows. All horses involved in training, jumping or intense exercise produce a greater quantity of chemicals called cytokines that increase susceptibility to illness, infection and inflammation, these horses require additional support to:
- Provide protection against acute and chronic inflammation by slowing the production of some inflammatory chemicals thereby preventing the breakdown of cartilage.
- Provide protection against the onset of chronic pain
- Provide a buffer against the over sensitisation of nerve endings
- Provide a buffer against degeneration of vulnerable areas such as joints, nerves muscle and ligament.
If you are using a regular joint supplement your horse may not be fully protected.
1 Compounds which provide regeneration for the joint, ligaments, cartilage and synovial fluids this may be provided through the addition of chondroitin, MSM, glucosamine and HA. However according to an independent study by the American Journal of Veterinary Research, joint degeneration is firstly and most importantly triggered by inflammation and inflammation is triggered by the release of Substance P. The veterinary research found that Substance P was significantly higher in dressage and jumping horses triggering an inflammatory response and pain which was not relieved by the usual joint supplements. The only compounds which maintain a normal and healthy environment to prevent inflammation and degradation and are also legal for use in competition are proanthrocyanadins found in some medicinal plants. Proanthrocyanadins also enhance the level of glycosaminoglycans (GAG’S) in the joint. These GAG’S are the ‘building blocks’ in the cartilage matrix and will increase the hyaluronate which is the fundamental component of the joint lubricant. (synovial fluid).
2. Compounds to maintain a healthy environment in the joints and related structures to inhibit and buffer against the release of the main chemicals which cause joint pain. A healthy joint has a slow continuous turnover of extra cellular matrix and degradation does not exceed regeneration. Bone formation also regenerates and resorbs according to the stresses placed upon it and there is a constant release of metabolites. However in diseased joints unusual metabolites are released from the bone, the synovial membrane and the joint capsule.
Traumatic synovitis is the first sign of osteoarthritis, early medication, rest and physiotherapy is best to restore movement avoid restriction and prevent the loss of glycosaminoglycans from articular cartilage early loss of articular cartilage is preventable with rest. If training is continued then the horse will develop chip fractures, ligament injuries and osteoarthritis.
3. Compounds to support healthy function of the immune system, the stress of travelling from country to country and event to event, training and competing means the horse is often exposed to pathogens which increase the chances of illness and disease. Stress in itself increases the production of inflammatory chemicals some of which will cause joint pain.
4. Compounds that provide the horse with energy, concentration and a quick recovery from the exercise regime, if the horse is struggling in its work with insufficient energy levels the hardworking and high motion structures including tendons and fetlock joints will be more prone to injury and trauma
5. The compounds used must be legal and not related to, the same as, or are of similar molecular makeup as any banned substance on the FEI list. Compounds should not interact or prolong the elimination time of any other prescribed veterinary medication.